Sunday 23 September 2018

Sleeping with Whales


Sleeping with Whales- Island Head Creek

WE arrived after sailing for 14 and half hours, 110 nautical miles on our 38th Wedding Anniversary. This was necessary action plan for safety, in anticipation of the forecast of 30 knot winds and large sea swells.  It was a dead calm out to sea, no swell, glass seas and no wind……………..the calm before a storm.  
Whilst it was a long day it was not arduous and the sightings of dolphins and whales kept me occupied whilst Capt Teza read a book. As we entered island head creek in calm conditions we took advantage of anchoring on the first beach upon entering the headland. 













 





 We found a 12 meter hole right next to the beach which was not on our charts or chart plotter and we can only assume that this is a crater from an Artillery shell as the area is a military training ground. It made for some tricky anchoring for the night with the yacht in five meters at low tide and our anchor stuck half way down a crater in 12 meters of water.



To call this large body of water a creek is not a good description.  Beautiful blue water, sandy beaches and sheltered inlets make this body of water one of the best safe anchorages along the Queensland coast.  It is under the control of the defense forces and is uninhabited by humans.
  

Upon anchoring we were greeted by 3 turtles paddling around and checking us out. We were ever so tired, a quick sundowner cocktail and early dinner.  

At about 7 pm I could hear the familiar sound of  a long “Pish” of a whales breathing hole.  In the  darkness just 50 meters from the boat was the silhouette of three whales backs gentle rising up and down.  They weren’t moving so our guess was they were having a rest before embarking further on migration path southwards.

We went to sleep with the whales.  The gentle sound as they blew out of the breathing holes was constant until about 3 pm when the tide changed and they made there way out to sea.  I Was a little nervous about being so close to these giants who are known to sleep against boats or rub against anchor chains but so exhausted after our days passage it was quiet soothing as I lay my head down I put my hands on the hull and felt the vibration of these magnificent animals of the sea.  WOW

Not sure what the vibrations were, could have been whale calls or movement  of these creatures of the sea that can weigh up to 40 tons.

In a state of gratefulness.
Even on the hard days at sea I am next to the man I have loved for 41 years and tonight I am also "sleeping with whales".




The next day we went exploring the beach combing for shells and as we do collecting any rubbish.  Other than one lonely basketball,  Yes, “Wilson”, that we disposed of, there was little rubbish on this well known collection  sand spit.  


A few shells and 4 kilometers of walking the isolated beautiful beach we had an enjoyable lunch and  made a move as the winds had now reached 25 knots and building. Being on the leeward side on an exposed beach was not going to give us a comfortable night.





We headed to a tributary which is tricky because of the shoals.  Tidal Changes in this area can be more than expected.
Latter at night, despite our best calculations in tidal depths we hit bottom at 1 pm on a dropping tide. I awoke to being squashed against the starboard hull by the Capt sleeping on top of me.  This is not the first time we have been keeled over on our hull with viewing portholes just under the deck looking into water whilst at anchor . Certainly, we have blue water viewing through these port holes when sailing.  But on this occasion all rationale thinking that we would pop back up again did nothing to calm my nerves.  The howling wind, light showers and the water chop banging against the hull resulted in me having what I can only describe as an anxiety attack. In fact so nervous was I as I leaned on the cabin lounge at a 45% angle waiting for the tide to pop us back up again that I became ill with a raging headache and nausea. It did indeed,  as the Capt said from his slumber ” it will pop back up again” at 4.30 am.

The next day I was so sick with a headache that I slept for 15 hours and started questioning if I had the mental stamina to do the whole sailing experience.  We work well as a team on board Sens de la Vie, she is built strong and has weathered some difficult situations.  We have experience some exhaustive,  adrenaline fueled days but they our outweighed by the extraordinary experiences we have cruising the coast. 
Diligence in checking conditions of sea and weather,  the engine and all the running equipment to ensure we don’t get into trouble  and we are safe,   is exhaustive and if we overthink the “what ifs”, we would never leave the dock.
The “anxiety attack”, which I am pretty sure that was what I experienced which is more than just nervousness left me feeling very flat and reflective.
Maybe, I do not have the mental stamina  and fortitude for an adventurous sea journey. That probably a more sensible alternative to travelling the coast line at our ages with my physical shortcomings is to do the whole Camper travelling thing. 
4wd camper trailer is planned when we sell our yacht and although we decided to do the sailing adventure whilst we could, certainly, after this episode of me having such anguish when we were not in any real danger, just very uncomfortable  left me questioning my capabilities and gave cause to be reflective.
My love of the sea does sometimes override all sense and sensibility. I have swam, snorkeled and dived with sharks, turtles, rays, large fish in a mass spiraling shoal,  moray eels  and had venomous curious sea snakes tapping on my googles all the while in a mental state of excitement and awe of sea life. 
I do take precautions and I am not reckless. 
Whilst, I recognize and appreciate that this is not for everyone to undertake a vessel to sea, in my experience the  good days which are many that I have had on various sailing vessels cruising the pacific islands and the coast of Queensland, certainly , outweigh the bad days which are few. 

Both Capt Teza and I in our lives have not been risk adverse and will have a go at most things, making opportunities to challenge ourselves.  

Sometimes we have not achieved the expectations we hoped for in our endeavors but all experiences both rewarding and challenging, the good and the bad,  have  enriched our lives and shaped us both individually.
Tomorrow as they say is another day and in my opinion,  or to justify my anxiety attack episode, if you don’t experience the not so great days how do you recognize, be grateful and appreciate the truly great days in your life.

Life upon the sea is not always easy

But when you have experiences of spectacular sunrises and sunsets, beautiful scenery, diving into crystal clear waters of coral reefs, catching fish (well a few on this passage and a couple of sharks), walking remote and isolated beaches, walking through forests on uninhabited Islands, eating oysters that you foraged from the rocks and the once in a life time experience of “sleeping with whales”, it is truly magical.
I remain forever grateful for all that I have experienced.


No comments:

Post a Comment