Wednesday 22 August 2018

Upside down Knickers- Practicing Yoga



Indeed, there are many challenges living on the boat and, in particular, when under sail or in a big swell. The simplest of things become extraordinarily difficult.

At 58 years old with rheumatoid disease and an enormous amount of damage to my body from various mishaps and accidents I am not as nimble as I used to be. With a body that is not svelte, lean or agile and certainly not as strong; I am currently nursing a full torn muscle in my right shoulder that will be operated on when I return.

I have inadvertently started practicing yoga by developing positions to steady myself without further damaging or inflaming my shoulder and all the other body bits that are damaged or don’t work as well anymore.

I have in my repertoire of Yoga Positions “Crouching Wench” used for when I am on the floor of saloon sliding around to get something for the captain when under sail. 
“Monkey swing” when I swing down the companionway with left arm doing a full body stretch timing my landing in between the listing or rolling of the floor beneath me.



“The Lucy” which is when I am in the Galley and is named in homage and in resemblance to Lucille Ball’s famous scene in the movie “The Long Long Trailer" 




when Lucy cooks in the Caravan whilst travelling along. Its Hilarious. My interpretation is a mix of Muppet chef moves, Chef Ramsey swearing and Lucy’s determination no matter how difficult; must cook.
The “Lucy” Yoga exercise requires me to brace myself by my legs or knees to floor or cupboards depending on the degree of angle the yacht is on, whilst managing pots, pans and preparing food.  It’s a messy exercise in cooking skills and balance that I don’t recommend due to the risk of cuts, burns and bruises. All of which I have as a reward for my culinary expertise.
Forget Master Chef Invention Test…………………This is Master Chef Extreme.


But my real talent for extraordinary Yoga Poses is when you are trying to get dressed.
One pose I have Named “Yoga Pants On”, which has nothing to do with any actual garment of yoga pants.


It requires me to lay down in the main cabin of bed and press my feet and legs to the Cabin Roof whilst sliding down my knickers(which is actually up). The visual scene would be described as rolling on the cabin bed like a beached Walrus, sunning himself. 
Legs up, on the bed and knickers half way, delights Capt Teza I am sure. I am starting to wonder if it is by design by the Capt to challenge me rocking and rolling in the big blue.
Indeed, “why bother” you may question. Normally I would not but when company is on board and in the close quarters of each others’ habits and bodily functions, one must strive to maintain some privacy and decorum.
Why is it that it is more socially accepted for Men to “Free Ball” and not for women to “muff flap”……………………………………….I vision that readers are aghast I wrote these words.  I digress and will leave this interesting social debate on gender equality of no underpants  for a time with the girlfriends over cocktails.

The only constellation besides the bruises, aches and pains is that I am moving; sometimes involuntarily. It might not be the daily 10,000 steps health initiative but I believe my body is getting some benefit out of my balancing acts of Yoga Poses to do ordinary tasks on board Sens de la Vie.
Crouching Cocktail Photography Yoga Pose


No comments:

Post a Comment