Saturday 7 October 2017

Sinking into a Pancake


We departed anchorage at Bundaberg Port Marina early morning for a long passage to Pancake Creek.
Once again, we had relatively clam conditions but unfortunately winds were not in our favour.  We are both suffering this cold chest infection so taking it easy under the iron sail is a good choice until we get our strength.  The journey took longer than expected with a blow up late afternoon so we decided to turn into 1770 to cut a couple hours off our passage.  Radio VMR Round Hill to be advise that our draft was too big as the entrance had recently silted up  and a spring Tide (full Moon) was expected tonight.
So off we cruised to Pancake Creek navigated inlet under the guidance of Bustard Head Light House and arrived just on sunset, a 10 hour passage. We were both exhausted, a light supper then off to bed with a sleep in as we were staying over for another night.

After ditching the antibiotics ( 3rd prescription over 8 weeks) and having resorted to  Vicks inhalations, snorting a salt solution, hot lemon toddies and throat gargles I slept soundly the best for weeks……………………………….. until 3am

3am……………….I awoke to thinking Capt Teza was getting all romantic when he rolled on top of me in our berth until we both realised that this was not a divine attraction to each other in the early hours of the morning but in fact we were aground and the boat was listing at 30%.
Which means I was having an underwater aquatic view in the port holes.
Very difficult to traverse to the cockpit.  And don’t get me started on going to the head……….very messy.  I am also covered in Big Blue Bruises……………..Pock a dot style. 

We anchored doing our normal thing checking tides and doing figure 8’s to sound all depths in our anchor swing……………….but alas here we are sideways and stuck in Pancake creek Sand Bank.
It was on the end of low tide so Capt Teza after checking a few things went back to bed, with saying “it will all big good, the  tide will turn”.  

How he can be so calm in this situation is beyond me. I remained in the cockpit with a blanket in a fetal position panicking. Left to my own thoughts………………………What if the rudder is damaged?  What if the anchor is wrapped around the keel?  What if we sank to much(11ton)in sinking sands and we will not pop back up? What if sharks are circling and awaiting to jump into the cockpit for a meal?  What will I do if a fish launches itself into the cockpit?  All manner of stupid scenarios manifested and unimaginable fates until about 4.30am when I could feel the boat gently moving upright.
Then I started analysing my fear,  in comparison to my Capt Teza who was still asleep.
How can he be so calm?………………….he totally gets big picture stuff, can analyse
 situations take control and command and does not sweat the small stuff.

I use to think I was fearless, I am staring to  think, I am a little naive in my perception of one’s fortitude and personal traits as I sit here “with a picture of a “sinking ship” in my mind’s eye.
This wonderful talented man Capt Teza, who I love and adore but totally get infuriated with at times, was attracted to me as a young girl of 17 years because I was fun, creative and willing to have a go at anything.
 Is that being fearless or not having a clue? I am sure other assets attracted him as well.  The attraction has sustained for 40 years, maybe because I am still just a silly naive girl that trusts that “Teararse Terry” alias Capt Teza will never put me in harms way and has control of all situations.
Teza always encourages me not to be risk adverse, take on challenges and enjoy Life’s experiences. And indeed I have and been blessed by truly amazing experiences.
Certainly we have had some wonderful life experiences, and always have a great story to tell but really……………………………Teza continues to sleep…………………..does the heart pumping adreline feuled situations we find ourselves in ever stop, its exhausting……………..like come on…………… are we not suppose to take life a little more gently in our pending old age.
And as Capt Teza sleeps, I watch the Sun rise and experience the boat rising at the same time with a cuppa   in hand, I breathe a sigh of relief and find joy and gratitude in the experience.
Who can say they have watched the sun rise on a rising boat.
So with love in my heart I wake him gentle and say “did you sleep well dear we are afloat again”.  He tells me “not really, bit difficult to sleep on a lean without you beside me”.
That about sums up how it works for us……………….I so Love this man.
Celebrating my first day feeling better……………………maybe is due to the fact that I need adrenaline heart pumping rushes because that’s how we roll.

So, I got busy in the galley, a foodie day, with crumbed Scallops and Camembert with pineapple chilli salsa, lamb roast tonight and my creative dessert which is Blue Berry Pancakes “pancakes for our destination and blue berries symbolism of my bruises” 


We have moved our Yacht to deeper water and tomorrows destination is Yeppoon Marina  our biggest day so we will be sailing at dawn…………………….unless we find another sandbank.

Ahoy me hearties, the adventures have just begun.


2 comments:

  1. Why am I not surprised??? Just another episode in the Smith Family Chronicles 😂!! Glad you're upright and floating again......do hope you manage to stay that way. Safe passage to Yeppoon. Glad you're starting to feel better xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Grief that was a epic read and adventure,your totally doing the adrenalin thing with the odd fetal position and rocking thrown in, although Terry may be all that you wrote don't ever under estimate your strength and power, and you are amazing, stay safe and enjoy yourselves sis xx

    ReplyDelete